Today I want to remind you that your mindset determines the quality of your decisions, your stress levels, the state of many of your relationships and your general wellbeing.
As many of you are aware, South Africa is experiencing major energy issues with scheduled black outs as much as 8 hours a day over the last few weeks, making the normal day to day things you need to complete a real challenge.
I am writing this while listening to the now very familiar hum of my inverter.
And it got me thinking that it is not the lack of electricity, it is the low level, long term irritation and inconvenience. Having to do an evening meeting with solar lamps (looking like you are telling ghost stories by the camp fire), eating and preparing meals at odd times, not being able to wash your laundry when you want to. Weak wifi signal which could go down at any time...juggling client work so you can get everything done before the inevitable darkness returns.
Not massive things....just ongoing and relentless...
This week I watched an interview with a former engineer and now lecturer in the energy generation space and what was most interesting was NOT what he said about the power supply and infrastructure but what he said about mindset...and that got me thinking!
He said that we need to
1. Plan our day according to when energy is available - same goes for your own energy supply. Do the heavy lifting while you feel good.
2. Stop moaning, it won't change a single thing. In fact it will make it MUCH harder to address or accept the problem.
3. Do your research and make better plans - it is not your resources, it's your resourcefulness
4. You do not need to always throw money at the problem, infact sometimes that is the least efficient solution and the laziest
I am sharing these today because they are also great pearls of wisdom for life in general.
So, my challenge, my call to action today is, no matter what minor inconvenience or major challenge is stressing you out right now, take a moment to think about your thinking...
· Are you in the victim space?
· Are you resigned that it is, what it is?
· Are you just exhausted from struggling for so long?
· Does every small stress erode your happiness just a little more?
What do you need to refill your cup? How do you build the resilience you need to keep going? What should you be telling yourself about this situation?
I can't answer these questions for you but I can answer them for myself, but I wanted to prompt you on these as we proceed into the weekend. My focus, I want to spend time with people I care about, I want to have a good belly laugh and be in the sunshine - that is just the tonic for me! Let me know what works for you!
Master your mindset and the rest will become much easier to manage!
The winning starts within.
EASIER TO ACCESS