Today, I wanted to chat to you about learning...
I want to start by asking, are you a good learner?
In the future the successful 'learners', the active learners will thrive, in fact it has already been identified as one of the Top Skills for 2025. So I urge you not only to think about learning in terms of formal development but as a daily opportunity wherever you find yourself.
THE BIG DON'TS
1. Do not only develop for your skill deficits, look at your top skill and how you can boost it to the next level. Great careers are built on your areas of excellence so put in the work there too
2. Do not try to attend everything! Fomo with all the training events and conferences can get overwhelming. Be decerning and think about the value you are looking for
3. Do not make your development, someone else’s job - it is not your exec or HRs responsibility - it's called PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT for a reason
4. Do not buy into the myth that training has to cost money - there are literally a bazillion free resources online, your investment is the time!
5. Do not take for granted that you are getting management training FOR FREE, by virtue of your role and proximity to the management teams.
4. Do not get into the mindset of 'there is nothing left to learn' - that is NOT the world we live in anymore!!!
Being able to learn and develop will be one of the most essential elements in evolving our profession and your role in it, for the future. It will help us find specialisations, areas where we can add additional value and help us deal with challenge and change!
“We now accept the fact that learning is a lifelong process of keeping abreast of change. And the most pressing task is to teach people how to learn.” — Peter Drucker
So remember - First you learn and then you earn!
EASIER TO ACCESS